Sunday, August 15, 2010

"Hello Fear, Let's Dance."

Fear. We all have it... It knows no age limits, no gender. And it certainly does not care WHAT you are doing when it appears. No courtesy whatsoever. While I use to run from fear, I've learned as a parent, that my children learn by what I do more times than not (cue the SHOCK & AWE sounds), so Fear and I now have a different relationship. We have to - my kids have to learn how to deal with it too.

So now I say, "Hello Fear. Let's Dance." And off we go. I match fear move for move. Tall buildings - no problem. I've shown my son I can conquer that glass elevator with his hand in mine...easy. Mouse in the house - piece of cake (um, well cheese, maybe), kinda. That one took a little more time, and a longer piece of music for us to "dance" to, but we got there. And my nemesis - the tall, dark, crazy fast water slides... yes, I see Fear waiting there for me just laughing. But not this time. I take my son's hand in mine, we walk up those 6 flights of stairs and we do it together. We conquer it - one turn and drop at a time. Guess who's afraid now? ;)

My point is, fear strikes at every angle. Our kids face it daily - and especially at back to school time. New teachers, new friends, old friends in different classes, new lunch tables, what to wear, what to eat, where to sit, who to play with, is the work too hard/too easy? And if your child just moved to a new school, or is transitioning to kindergarten, middle or high school this year, it's an entirely new set of challenges. Be prepared for changes with your child. Go through those changes with him and teach him to "dance" with fear - not run from it. Look it in the eye, and move with it, step for step, turn for turn. In the end, it will be your child leading - not fear.

But remember, your job before that is to show him that it can be done. Conquer your own fears with your child as much as you can, and when he can't be around, tell him about it.

Trust me, I couldn't have conquered half of my fears without my 8 yr old's hand in mine, saying, "You can do it, Mom. You can." Take that, fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment