Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Mom / Dad... I'm Bored!"

How many parents have heard this phrase this summer? Probably too many of you to count, right? Doesn't matter how old your kids are, the word "bored" go across the ages. I find myself saying phrases that my own mother use to say to me - and ones that I promised I would never say to my own kids. "You can't be bored, you just woke up." "Only boring people get bored." "There are a million things to do." "Grab the vacuum, there's plenty of things to clean." "Grab a book and read." And of course, "Don't you have a room FULL of things to NOT be bored with?" What I forget is that these didn't work with me (cue the eye rolling) and they don't work with my kids. (cue the shock music)

Our friends at FoxValleyMom.com put together a list of GREAT solutions/ideas for an enjoyable summer - here's just a few - some more perfect for teens, some perfect for all ages:
  1. Work at a local business: Why? Because at some point we ALL need to understand the importance of customer service (in my opinion).
  2. Volunteer: There is NOTHING more rewarding - and even though your kids may not admit it at first, they will feel this too.
  3. Take a Class / Brush up on Skills: There are SO many options during the summer...pottery, martial arts, painting, theatre, learn a language!
  4. Residential Work: Good old fashioned lawn mowing, mother's helpers, babysitting, dog walking, flower watering
  5. Recreational Activities: Waterparks, mini golf, go karts, the Zoo, bike rides and SO much more!
Read the entire article and check out all the great resources that FoxValleyMom.com has for the hip mom and her kids in the Fox Valley area! I promise...the words, "I'm bored" will soon be a distant memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment